San Lazaro Hospital is a referral facility for Infectious/ Communicable Diseases. It is one of the retained special tertiary hospital of the Department of Health (DOH) which is subsidized by the national government.
The hospital has a 500-bed capacity that provides free health care delivery service particularly among the depressed, underserved and underprivileged sectors of the society. Since 1986, cases of HIV/AIDS were admitted to this hospital.
San Lazaro Hospital was founded in 1577 as a dispensary clinic in Intramuros by Spanish Frey Juan Clemente. It became a hospital in 1578 for patient suffering from leprosy and other diseases.
Read more ...
Thru Department Order No. 393-E s. 2000, the hospital became the National Reference Laboratory for Tests on HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis and STIs. Thus, through SACCL, SLH provides laboratory referral services, training of laboratory personnel, evaluation of test kits and reagents and maintenance of quality assurance for above laboratory tests.
As per Administrative Order No.180 s. 2000, the Public Health Service of SLH was created to provide technical assistance on public health aspects of infectious/ communicable diseases to various hospital services and other agencies
Thru a Memo of Agreement with WHO (World Health Organization), Precious Jewels Ministry, Inc. and DOH, the SLH Extended Day Care Center was established to serve as a place for children (< 10 y/o) for care and protection while their parents or caregivers are confined at H4 and TB pavilions.